It’s Off to College they Go!
It seems like only yesterday that we were packing up my oldest son to head off to college! At the time I didn’t know any better, we kept our purchases in the Target bags or just threw them in the car! We packed his shoes in green plastic bags and his clothes in boxes. As we pulled out of our driveway, with his very sad friends waving good bye, we all put on our sunglasses and didn’t talk for about an hour or two! We had to stay overnight in Carbondale before he could move into the dorms and my husband says; “this is the biggest time of year that cars get broken into because they know you’re moving into a dorm!” All I could think of is; “you’ve got to be kidding me, did you lock the truck!?” I watched Joe sleep that night, thinking that’s the last time I’ll see him sleeping as my little boy!
Now fast forward to present day! After doing the college drop off several times now, it’s definitely a lot easier and it’s definitely a lot less emotional! Here are some tips to help any first time parents sending bringing their kids to college!
1. Keep any clothes on hangers – use a white garbage bag to scoop all the clothes up into the bag and use the drawstring of the bag to secure all the hangers
2. Purchase 3-4 large totes and set them out in your garage. As you buy things for college put them into a tote. Keeps you organized, you can see what you have and what you still need – don’t forget school supplies!
3. College students really do like mail! Every now and then send a funny card or a note and try to include a gift card to Starbucks or Walgreens!
4. You think the meal plan is such a great idea – it is at first and then it becomes gross! Be prepared to pack snacks!
5. Try to encourage your college student to stay at school! Encourage them to get involved in something! The more they come home, especially on weekends, the more difficult it is for your college student to feel a part of their new community!
Finally, let your son or daughter know how proud you are of them! This is not an easy transition for them either, no matter how confident they may seem! Get ready to put on your sunglasses and buckle up for this crazy ride!